Getting Started

Time to start another blog. This time for building my Personal Learning Network and reflecting on my busy days at school. About six months ago I began a new learning journey. I became the teacher librarian at my school. I also got my own laptop.

Since that time I have started two blogs, created an iGoogle page, learned about Twitter, signed up for Google Reader, worked on inquiry projects with colleagues and their students, learned some of the basics of running the school library, ordered books and have read, read and read!

One of the things that caught my attention was all of the information about building a PLN. Each time I read something I had more questions about what a PLN was and how to go about building one. Our school year is coming to a close and there are many things to do but a teacher challenge appeared. Find out more about and build your PLN. How could I resist?

So here I am after everyone else, including the dog, is in bed creating a new blog and putting off writing report cards.

Bring on the challenges of the month!

8 thoughts on “Getting Started

• And I with you! Making contacts and sharing is what it is all about I guess. I really like these challenges because they get you started with making contacts right away.

1. Hi! I think that as you start learning with others by giving and taking ideas, resources, encouragement etc., then you are involved in the process of developing a PLN. I honestly didn’t realize that I had a PLN established until it occurred to me that I was making valuable contributions. I realized that it is a process that grows over time.

It is an exciting process, and I too end up relaxing by connecting with others and creating blog posts.

I like how Michael worded it, I look forward to learning with you through this challenge.

Kind regards,
    Tracy Watanabe

• I think you’re right. The process has already started. I know one of the things I need to do more of is commenting and getting involved in discussions. I hope this blog and challenge will help me to do just that.

Learning together in a relaxed way. What a treat!

2. Welcome to the wonderful world of your PLN! I’m transitioning from classroom teacher to teacher librarian (though I did have a two year break while I was in library school), so I’ll be interested in following your journey as you continue the librarian path.

• Hi Kimberly,
      I am also transitioning and looking at coursework to complete as I work. Great to know someone else is out there experiencing this too!

3. Hi,
    I also look forward to learning together with you. I participated in the first teacher challenge, so I have started to build a PLN, but as Tracy wrote it is a complex journey and since I didn’t work this school year it is hard to contribute. Now I am preparing for the next school year and me teaching in a new school and 4 subjects I am going to need all the help I can get.
    Best regards